Note: Leesa Barnes takes over this blog while Jon enjoys his nuptials and honeymoon on the West Coast. He returns August 10th. Enjoy Leesa's take on podcasting in the meantime.
Podomatic.com claims to be the leading provider of free, web-based tools and services that enable anyone to easily find, create, distribute, promote and listen to podcasts and videocasts.
- A media player is available to play the podcast right from the podcasters page.
- Has an online recording tool.
- Offers hosting (although you'll have to purchase more bandwidth at $4.99 per month).
- Get a podomatic.com email address.
- I can create and send quizzes.
- Many templates for me to choose from for my blogsite.
- There's a email feature under the player so you can receive notice when a new episode is available (sort of like Feedblitz).
What could be improved:
- The audio is actually streamed, so I had to wait for the podcast to buffer.
- They encode the MP3 file that I upload at a lower bitrate, so the quality is compromised.
- Not just that, but they throw in a podomatic identifier at the end of my podcast. Urrgghhh, how annoying. They don't seem to do this with smaller sized podcasts. When I tested this service about 2-months ago, I had uploaded a larger file and the identifier was at the end. For now, the identifier is no longer placed in your podcast.
- If you reach your bandwidth limit for the month, your podcast will no longer play.